Tuesday 12 November 2019

INTERVIEW: Hubert (Calibre 11 Forum Member / Moderator)


If you've spent any time at all on the Calibre 11 Forum you will have come across our latest guest, Hubert is not only the 'moderator' for the forum but also an active contributor. His commitment to the Monaco is legend on the forum and hopefully another time I can get him to open up about his amazing collection of the 'square' watch, but for now for those of you who don't frequent the Calibre 11 Forum I will allow him to introduce himself...


Hello, my name is Hubert and I am a TAG Heuer enthusiast & collector. If you know me, you probably do from the Calibre11 Forums, where I serve as a Moderator. I’ve been a daily contributor since the forum started. Professionally, I am an Engineer by training, although I’ve been managing software development and products for a couple of decades.


Nice to finally have you on the blog Hubert, so just how did you get into watches?

Similar to David’s story, my other passions came first.  For as long as I can remember I’ve been into cars, movies, music, and gadgets, where my obsession with watches came later. My brain’s left hemisphere values logic, precision, and capabilities, while the right serves as a counter balance, through creativity, design, and artistic expression.  I’d say that the bridge that unites them both is unquestionably passion. Now, the answer to your question will become evident in a moment.


What was your first, or first good watch?

The first watches I remember wearing as a kid were made by Casio, Timex, and Swatch, each with their well defined identity and purpose.  When I was growing-up my mother loved watches.  During my childhood she purchased several models, some of which ended up being passed-down to me, usually when the battery expired.

The Casio were basically gadgets; recall the famous calculators and arcade models. Gotta love the 80s! I was aware there was a Seiko TV watch, but I never had it. They say never meet your heroes as they will disappoint you, maybe that applies here.

Moving on to Timex, my recollection is that these were marketed as active lifestyle watches, with deep water resistance. I still remember we all went nuts when Indiglo was introduced! No more struggles reading the digital time at night.  Progress!

As for Swatch, I was part of the age group during peak craze. I remember they were a real fashion statement and everyone wanted one. The grails were the “Swiss Made”, although most of us were just glad to be part of the club with “Quartz” models.

It was until the 90s, that I became enamoured with TAG Heuer, although I do remember having a Heuer branded alarm clock helmet during elementary school, which got lost over the years.

My love affair with the brand started after my best friend from high-school purchased a 2000 chronograph, which I thought was the coolest watch ever.


My quest to own one would not be realized unit a family trip to Florida circa 1996.  I still remember some of the details of that day!  It was right at the end of our trip where my siblings and I were shopping for souvenirs on a shopping-mall and I remember wandering being completely disinterested, until that fortuitous moment that would change everything!

At the end of the mall, stood a jeweler that carried TAG Heuer.  Like a magnet, I was drawn to their display.  I examined their stock and immediately knew I wanted.  It was right then and there that my first TAG Heuer became a black CA2111 F1 chronograph.



This became my little treasure.  I remember waking up the next day and admiring it on the hotel’s night stand.  I wore this watch daily for the next few years, until I was sent off on a long term work assignment out of the country, so I left it home to avoid any risk of being stolen.


Thereafter, I kept the brand within sight. The Kirium Carbon was interesting, but not appealing enough to convince me to buy one.

Years passed, until around 2010 or 11 when I saw an advertisement for the original 1887 Carrera in a magazine.  And just like that, my passion was reignited!  


I started researching the current TAG Heuer lineup and discovered the brand was undergoing a renaissance.  Carreras, Monacos, all sorts of exciting awards and anniversaries. Eventually my search brought me to different watch websites, where I quickly determined that the best of them all for TAG Heuer was without a doubt Calibre11.com. Through David’s articles, I came to learn about the 1887’s 3 generations and started becoming a regular reader.  Once I knew enough, I made a black v3 1887 with a steel bracelet mine.


However, it was until I had purchased 2 more Carreras (the Jack Heuer 80 and the Anthracite sequel), along with my first Monaco the CAW211D, that I felt like a bonafide enthusiast and connected with David (@Calibre11) over Instagram around 2013.  Short time after the Calibre 11 Forum started, and there I say, the rest is history!



Do you have a favourite piece in your current collection?

I can’t single one out.  Most of the watches in my collection were meticulously researched and have a strong significance.  However, if I had to put one product line over the other, it would probably be the Monacos, because I find more shortcomings with the modern Carreras and Autavias than with the Monacos. In the end, I am much more careful with the heritage (Heuer) branded models than their modern counterparts. And I tend to wear the Connected Carreras once or twice per week, so the TAG Heuer models get a lot of mileage. 


Is there a place in your collection for quartz / how do you feel about quartz watches?

Sure, my 2 F1s and plenty of Quartz fashion watches.  These are the ones that I don’t mind getting worn out or receiving minor wear and tear.   They are typically ready to be used, don’t mind travel, and as long as the battery is still alive, you can rely on the time being right.


Do you know what your next piece will be?

My most recent TAG Heuer is the 00s Monaco (CAW211Y).   The next will likely be one of the upcoming Carreras, or Autavia Chronographs. Unfortunately I was too late to get a Sinn Dark Star Bund, but maybe I’ll get one second hand.


Do you have a ‘money no object’ grail in mind?

How about an original Heuer Carrera that belonged to Jack Heuer?  Or a screen-used Monaco from Lemans?  Or Jo Siffert’s Autavia, Niki Lauda’s Monza, Andretti’s, or Jacky Ikx?  Outside the brand, dare I say Buzz Aldrin’s Speedmaster, if it were ever to be found?


How many watches is too many?

Easy, when you lose count of the ones you have.  But then again, who’s counting?!  ;¬)


Have you ever ‘sneaked’ a watch into the house?



Have you ever bought or sold a watch and regretted it?

I have a love / hate relationship with the Telemeter and the 39mm glassbox Carreras.  I have considered letting the Telemeter go, but I can never push myself to do so. The other one is the bullhead Jack Heuer 1887 Carrera as it’s a polarising piece; whenever I wear it, I find its faults, but since Jack helped design it, it probably will be safe.


Are you more excited by re-issues or new pieces?

I think re-issues, but only when their execution is an improvement over the originals.

In my book, if the reissue / reimagining makes the design worse, then it becomes infuriating.


Which watch would you like to see TAG Heuer re-issue?

I would love if TAG Heuer would make ~41mm reissues of the original Carreras, keeping the scaling and proportions intact.

These two would be at the top of my list:



Faux aged lume: Ingenious or travesty?

I know this is very controversial for some, but honestly it’s not a deal breaker for me, as long as the color doesn’t clash with the rest of the design.  For example, the Monza has it and it goes well with the rest of the design. 




Why do you think it is that TAG Heuer attracts more than its fair share of negativity?

I would say many factors.  Not being an independent watch company and owned & operated by the world’s premier fashion group (LVMH) doesn’t help with the critics.  Then you’ll see its marketing and long list of ambassadors, many of which have probably turned many away.


What are your thoughts on the collaboration with Bamford?

Initially I was all for it, but now I am not sure, especially after seeing many questionable designs from customers.  I find that their online studio is not very representative of the finished products.  That said, maybe if I could design one at their London office, I might get it.


Are you swayed by ‘limited editions’ and associated packaging?

It all depends on what is being offered as a “limited edition”.  If it’s a well done reissue, then I am all for it.  However my finances will tell you there have been too many limited editions in recent years, which makes it very difficult to keep up.


Is there a TAG Heuer / Heuer you really don’t like?

Never been a fan of the Grand Carreras, the S/EL, of the original Link, although the new ones are a step in the right direction. As for Heuer, I think these two are a bit hard to love:




Is there something you’d like to see more of in watch design, for example a dial colour that’s under used?

Maybe a deep emerald green dial in a Monaco.  Less army green (as in the Japan edition), and more sunburst / fume green.   Something like this:


Or a brighter green as in the new way2015 Aquaracer


As for materials, I would like to see more real carbon fiber and less marbled carbon composite.
In terms of design, better proportions, especially when doing reissues.  We need modern-sized (~41mm) heritage 3-register (3-6-9) Carreras please!


How do you feel about gold and two-tone watches, would you / do you wear them and do you feel comfortable wearing them?

When they are done well they can be attractive, but it’s hard to do.  I personally prefer alternating between brushed and polished metal, as found on the Rolex daytona steel bracelets, which in a certain light, make bracelet look like it’s two-tone.


It feels like we've come to the end of the Monaco 50th Anniversary cycle now, but if you were in charge of TAG Heuer how would you have marked the 50th anniversary of the Monaco.

Oh boy; definitely not how it came to be.  Originally I was thinking it would be like the 50th Anniversary Carrera, where we would get a heritage model (I would have liked to see a Dark Lord reissue) and a modern reinterpretation.   Or like others have said, how about a voting competition like the Autavia Cup?   Both would have been nice choices. In the end I can’t really complain too much, as I was lucky enough to have purchased the 80s, 90s and 00s Anniversary Editions.



Do you have a watch horror story?

Not yet thankfully, although I remember a visible dust particle inside my Telemeter that disintegrated within a day.


Which other brands do you appreciate / own?

I started my Omega collection fairly recently.  I have the Seamaster Diver 300 (50th Anniversary in blue and gray / Bond) and the Seamaster 300 Spectre.  I would like to get an Ed White Speedmaster (if a reissue is made) or a First Omega in Space next. I still need to get me an El Primero Zenith. As for other brands, everytime I go to Vegas, I feel like a kid in a candy store.  I don’t like every model, but each brand has some unique treasures.  If money were no object, I have my eye on on some specific models from Cartier, Bulgari, Blancpain, Patek Philippe, Zenith, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Söhne, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Panerai, Piaget, Bell & Ross, and Longines.


Do you see your collection growing, and if so how?

Yes, hopefully as long as possible.  This hobby has brought me enormous joy and satisfaction.  A true passion indeed! Maybe one day in a few decades, my contribution could be recognized by the brand itself. Who knows!?


Given the positive reaction to the red limited edition Monaco, would you like to see some sort of ‘Ferrari’ Monaco?

Given that Ferrari has a deal with Hublot, I doubt this will happen.  However, I would like to see another red Limited Edition, maybe in a Carrera next?


How do you feel about the Hodinkee limited edition phenomenon, and leading off of that, would you like to see TAG instigate some sort of ‘VIP’ club for people who buy regularly with special editions offered first/or possibly exclusively to members?

I think Hodinkee have built a true business, however I have not become one of their paying customers yet. As for TAG Heuer, I have elaborated about this on the forum in the past. Yes, I think TAG Heuer should strongly consider a Collectors Registry or something to that effect.  Based on the purchase history, the Collector would gain points and raise one’s status to acquire coveted pieces and limited releases. This could also be linked to discounts and special gifts. And they should also consider bringing the community’s voices to help define future products.


Who (if anybody) do you think should be TAG Heuer’s next brand ambassador?

That is an interesting question.  I think TAG Heuer should take a page from the Think Different campaign that brought Apple back when Steve Jobs returned at the helm. Imagine elegant black and white pictures of historical figures and personalities showing their connection to the brand and let that speak for itself.  Of course securing agreements and royalties is a different matter, but here are some mockups to help illustrate this idea.

TAG Heuer if you’re reading and liking this, then you know where to find me!






Well, once again we come to the end of another interview, and I hope you have enjoyed reading it. My thanks go to Hubert for taking the time to do this interview and also for providing lots of pictures to illustrate it, hopefully we can do this again sometime.

Next up, bizarrely... it will be my turn in the hot seat as our good friend Otto William has decided to turn the tables and interview me! I must say he thought up some very good questions and I am hoping he will help me out in future when it comes time to do the next swathe of interviews! 

No comments:

Post a Comment