Monday 11 November 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Watch

WAY218A.FC6362

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 22nd July 2019

I believe this was one of the first watches I tried on when I started writing my blog, I remember trying it on in a shop in Chester and being quite impressed with it, but disappointed that it looked a little small on my 7.3/4" wrist. Since then I've got used to wearing everything from 37mm to 45mm watches and so I thought I'd give it another go and see how it felt now.


To be honest, it still feels a bit small to me... though I am at a loss to explain why that should be. It has a black PVD case and a polished ceramic bezel and the black and yellow colour scheme is very attractive; the strap is this smooth backed nylon that TAG seem very keen on these days and it looks great with the yellow stitching, although equally you could switch it out for a rubber strap if you wanted to (NB: TAG Heuer make a fitted rubber strap for this piece with a yellow backing so you don't even need to miss out on that splash of colour), but it still looks a bit small and 'pebbly' on me, which is a shame because I really do like it.


The lume on these Aquaracers is excellent and shines brightly in two different colours (green and blue), while the dial on these is great looking with the slatted black background, clear hour markings and another splash of yellow on the second hand. I prefer the design of this three hander to the more cluttered dial of the Calibre 16 chronograph, but the big plus of the Cal16 is the 43mm case size. It's only 2mm bigger but it seems to make a lot of difference with this one for some reason.

I'm sure this watch is long gone from the store (this post has been hanging around since July after all) especially as it was on sale at £1680 (list price is £2400), but there's every chance of repeat stock and I'm sure if it does come back into the store it wouldn't sit on the shelf for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment