Monday 18 November 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: Heuer Pasadena Automatic Chronograph

750.501

As we know, in the mid 80s 'Heuer' was sold to 'Techniques d'Avant Garde' and became 'TAG Heuer'. For the most part, on this blog I concentrate on the 'TAG Heuer' part of the company's history (even though TAG Heuer is no longer owned by 'TAG'... it is now part of the Louis Vuitton group), but just occasionally I come across something from the past which appeals to me enough for me to include it, and here we have just such an item in the shape of this immaculate NOS Heuer Pasadena.


I found this one on a website called 'Sweepinghand.co.uk' which deals mainly in Rolex and Omega, but also Breitling and occasionally TAG Heuer and others. This watch has actually been sold so I don't know what the asking price was, but I'm sure given the condition it wasn't cheap! According to the website this watch originates from 1982, and indeed this model was (sort of) carried over into the TAG Heuer years albeit in a slightly modified format (the movement changed from a Valjoux 7750 to a Lemania 5100) and the watch was re-branded as the 510.501 (sometimes referred to as a 'Pilot'... but not the 'Pilot' that looks like a Navitimer), clear as mud, right?


It's probably safe to say that given a choice, a lot of TAG Heuer watch fans would like to see the Pasadena given the anniversary treatment, but given that it's now November 2019, and the watch was first introduced in 1979, it's getting a bit late in the year to hope for a 40th Anniversary launch. I'm guessing any potential for that was stamped on by the 50th Anniversary of the Monaco (which is admittedly way more important to the history of the brand), but it's a bit of a shame as it would have made a nice replacement for the (seemingly*) now discontinued Monza 40th Anniversary.

*I say seemingly because the model has started to appear in the outlet stores, but at the same time there still seem to be plenty in the dealer system; for example, both TAG Heuer ADs in Northampton still had the Monza 40th Anniversary in stock last time I looked in the windows.


From a purely aesthetic point of view, I really like this model and particularly because of that fantastic PVD bracelet. As much as I like the 40th Anniversary Monza, my main sticking point with it is the 'classic' leather racing strap. If I bought one I'd have to put it on something else, though I don't really know what; maybe THIS. But here there is no such problem, perhaps this bracelet would fit the Monza... ah, now there's an idea!


I don't usually like watches with this kind of case (lets call it a Speedmaster II for the sake of argument), but here in black PVD it works a whole lot better for me. The dial is superb and while usually I would say here that as much as I like it I would go for the TAG Heuer 510.501 instead, the only real point of difference is the bracelet and I much prefer the design of the one fitted to this model than the later evolution. If you look at the newer bracelet it looks a lot like the ones fitted to the early Formula 1 models, whereas this is far more sleek and stylish.


It's a shame I can't tell you the price it was listed for, but it might be worth keeping an occasional eye on the site just in case any more classic Heuers / TAG Heuers come up. I see the seller also sold a rare 'Marine Nationale' 1000 Series that was issued to the French Navy, but again the price is not shown (link below):
https://sweepinghand.co.uk/sold/tag-heuer-marine-nationale-french-navy-issue/

You can find a lot more information on the Heuer Padasena on the Calibre 11 website:
https://www.calibre11.com/ultimate-guide-heuer-pasadena-750-501/

And here's a link to my fairly recent post about the TAG Heuer 'Pilot' 510.501
http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.com/2019/07/spotlight-on-tag-heuer-pilot-510501.html

No comments:

Post a Comment