Friday 18 December 2020

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Green Sharkskin and Black Leather Watchstraps

 
WF1111.BA0511

The 4000 Series isn't the most... 'striking' of watches; it's actually a nice watch with an interesting bracelet with an unusual concave link design, but because TAG Heuer went with the green and red painted logo on the bezel/case, they pretty much kept the rest of the watch as bland as possible. Which is why it's only generally available in two tones of grey, white and champagne. It was also made with a gold dial and a two tone bezel, but that's probably a bit much for modern tastes! 

The problem is, the red and green paint doesn't always last the distance and mine has lost all of its green and some of the red, leaving it all looking a bit grey all over, particularly as it has the darker of the two grey dials. So, while researching the 4000 for a future 'History' post, I was reminded that these watches were actually available on some pretty loud straps, in fact many of the 4000s were available with a choice of eight different straps: black or brown leather and brown, black, red, grey, green or blue sharkskin.


As you can see I went for the green, I really liked the blue as well but I decided the green would be the best match for the dark grey dial. Obviously I wasn't going to brighten up the watch buying a brown, grey or black strap and the red sharkskin.... eh, I'm not too sure about that! 

Although it might be fun with the gold dial, two tone model.... no?

When I picked up the strap from the brand new Bicester Village store I was so happy to see how shockingly bright it was and as you can imagine it divides opinions fairly dramatically. I'm sure they were being nice to me and probably laughed their heads off once I was out of the door, but I don't care. I love it! :)


So much so in fact, that I have ordered the blue strap and another 4000 to put it on! I've never done that before. This strap thing has really become a thing for me this year, I think I've bought nearly as many straps as watches. More on that to follow...

I also picked up another strap, one that took a little while to come, this time for my CG1110 S/EL.


This caused some small consternation on the Calibre 11 forum on arrival as the CG1110 was originally sold on a plain black strap with a pin and buckle not a clasp. A bit of detective work from Albert-AMG turned up the fact that this strap was originally supplied on a different S/EL (the WG1115), I am trying to find out if the original strap is available as well, not because I have a bee in my bonnet about it being 'original' but because the clasp is not particularly comfortable.

It is a similar design to the Formula 1 clasp I had so much trouble with a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing like the same level of discomfort, but it is a constant niggle and I may end up replacing it at some point or perhaps more likely put it back on the fantastic bracelet it came on.

Having said all that, I have noticed that if you wear it for a longer period of time (i.e. more than an hour or two) it does seem to settle down as it gets warmer. It's still not ideal but as the day goes on you do tend to forget about it (well, mostly), which suggests it's perhaps not as bad as I made out...


Despite my whinging, I do think it looks quite cool and if nothing else it's cured me of my curiosity for S/ELs on straps. Every time I saw one on eBay I was tempted to get one and they usually aren't cheap - especially the ones with this type of end link / strap combination. I was always perplexed as to why they changed the design and did away with the end links, I never thought it looked as good, but now perhaps I can see why.

I imagine the ones where the strap goes all the way in to the lugs probably hug the wrist better. The problem for me is that because the clasp is uncomfortable I can't really do the strap up tight enough to pull those end links down properly, so it doesn't fit as well as it perhaps should. I guess I could put a plaster on my wrist, but really... I think it's going to go back on the bracelet and perhaps sooner rather than later. 


It's a shame, but it's my own fault since I just asked if there was a leather strap available for the CG1110. In future I will be more specific, we all learn by our mistakes in this wonderful world of watch collecting don't we? 

More on the white dial 4000 in a few days!


The 4000 Series green sharkskin strap code is BC0528 and it costs £130

The black/white stitched leather strap for the SEL is a FC6141 and costs £87

No comments:

Post a Comment