Thursday 2 June 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Monaco Heuer 02 'Dark Lord Tribute' Special Edition Chronograph

CBL2180.FC6497

If I had a pound for every time I'd heard someone say they wanted a re-issue of the infamous Heuer Monaco 'Dark Lord', I genuinely think I'd have enough money to buy myself a beat up old Kirium from eBay. I jest of course..., I'd actually have enough to buy an original 'Dark Lord', with change for a beat up old Kirium from eBay! Haha. But seriously, the Dark Lord is without doubt the most lusted after watch in the company's history, so what are the chances of a 'modern' version satisfying these people's cravings? Pretty low I would say... 


Fortunately for me, I don't carry the baggage that many do when approaching this watch. For a start, I genuinely prefer Monacos with the crown on the right hand side*, anything else looks utterly wrong and bizarre to me, so that's a great start. I'm also not looking for a perfect 1:1 copy, because I don't particularly like the old Monaco case, I much prefer the sleeker, bevel-edged case we have these days, and since I've barely ever bothered to look past 1985 I just don't have this deeply ingrained idea of how the 2022 'Dark Lord' should be.

(*Yeah, I know the original Dark Lord had its crown on the right side too, but it doesn't stop people wanting it on the left...go figure!)

Max Verstappen's 'piece unique' CBL2180.FC6497

Which is just as well, because the CBL2180 is no 're-issue', it is (as is the TAG Heuer way) a 'tribute' to the Dark Lord and I honestly don't see any problem with that. It takes the overall aesthetic of the past, tweaks it and gives it a modern sheen, and I for one think it looks (as one particularly Dutch F1 driver might say) simply lovely. And speaking of that particularly Dutch F1 driver, no prizes for who was presented with a CBL2180 modified with a red number '1' on the dial at the 2022 Monaco Grand Prix...


Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the pre-'TAG' era, I have actually seen a 'Dark Lord' during my visit to the TAG Heuer museum, way back in 2018. It was a bit of a rush to get round the museum in the allotted time, but I did snap this photo, which gives you a good reference for comparison. It may be heresy, but I much prefer the square pushers, and I also much prefer that the pushers and the crown are DLC coated instead of left polished. 


For the purists I assume the main points of contention will be a) the TAG Heuer logo on the dial, b) the running seconds at the 6 (I don't see that it is intrusive in the slightest, but some people really, really, really hate that feature of the Heuer 02), c) case thickness, d) case size, e) rose gold hands and applied markers. f) the alligator strap - though of course this can easily be switched out for a racing strap if one prefers and g) the crown on the right, even though as I've already mentioned the original also had its crown on the correct side. Then there's those red sub dial hands: I don't mind them at all, but as you will see below not everyone agrees.


Honestly the only thing I would change about this watch to make it pretty much perfect would be the rose gold. I don't hate it, I don't even mind it, but white gold would have been even better. What's the betting that a very low number limited edition white gold version of this watch appears at some point? Remember the super limited 50th Anniversary Gulf Monaco that came out after the regular model? That would be super desirable and at the same time a kick in the teeth to anyone who buys this thinking it's as close as we're gonna get... just to be clear, I'm not telling you to wait for the white gold version cos that's genuinely only in my head right now, but you know what watch companies are like!


Is it worth £6800 though? Well, as much I love it, I don't think I could personally bring myself to spend that kind of money on it - I'm just not that invested in the Monaco. Without a doubt though, it is pretty much the best looking Monaco this side of a Monaco 24 and if money was no object then I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that we are approaching saturation point with these 'Special' Monacos, which is a shame because there are at least two more coming this year...

Okay, well, it's that time again.... the Council members are chomping at the bit, ready to vent their spleen with lashings of spittle and pent up rage... or are they? Let's toss it into the ring and find out.



CBL2180.FC6497: 7.2 / 10
 
5/10: "It is difficult for me to evaluate the watch, but I have one thing to say, if it’s going to make an homage, it should be a near-perfect reprint; if not, it should make a new design."

7/10: "Nice, but a black matching bracelet would have been better."

8/10: "I am getting one. A bit disappointed it's not a more faithful DL reedition, however this will do until or if there ever is one!"

7/10: "Elegant looks in a sporty case mean that while it’s an attractive package, the wearing experience is just a little disjointed. It’s nicely done though, the black Ti case means the huge chonk that is the H02 Monaco wears smaller, and there’s lots to draw the eye. I’m sure those who do buy them are going to love them, but I’m not going to buy one."

7/10: "I actually like this one more than the current 02 ones. Black watches have a draw for me."

6/10: "A welcome addition to the range, but I still prefer the iconic McQueen blue."

7/10: "Not the worst thing we've seen."

8/10: "If it has the number 1, it becomes 9/10."

7.5/10: "As a modern reimagined tribute, this Monaco evokes the feel of the original Dark Lord in a style that's similar yet quite different at the same time. Overall, I like the look and think it's a tribute worth considering for Monaco enthusiasts. However, I do wish it had the Heuer logo and orange hands. Also, it should've come with a racing rally strap, but that's easy enough to fix. Will I buy one? Probably not. I was never really into the vintage original, but that's still the look I'd rather own."

8/10: "I like this a lot. I really like the rose gold accents against the black, the rotor is a great added touch."

5/10: "A completely wasted opportunity."

8/10: "I love it, but given how it is much bigger than the original dark lord I think I cannot give a higher score."

8/10: "I don’t like the crown on the right side in a Monaco, and I don’t like that alligator strap in a Monaco either. I would prefer a perforated -rally style- leather strap… but I like this watch anyway."

9.5/10: "This is an awesome watch! With a rally strap it would have been perfect!"

6/10: "Those red hands just don't work. It's like the Gulf Monacos all over again!"

8/10: "I like it a lot but there are many other Monacos I prefer."

5/10: "The rose gold is not for me. I don’t like the lay-out of the subdials. The hand at 6 o clock with the chopped marker to allow for the date. The grainy plasticy texture in the corners. Just a mess. Another example of TAG Heuer catering to a crowd that’s very very different from the one that bought the original. As a homage to the Dark Lord I’m flunking it."

8.5/10: "Overall I really like it, the textured outer dial is nice and adds a bit of interest/ breaks up the dial. And i just really like a dark Monaco with the red accents, works really well for me. My only gripe is the rose gold hands and markers, I'm really not sure how I feel about them. Fair enough on the rota but just not sure about the hands, hence the 1/2 mark down."


No comments:

Post a Comment