Saturday 11 June 2022

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer S/EL 'Leonardo Nascimento de Araujo' Limited Edition Quartz Chronograph

CG1110 (with the revised dial)

One of my readers (Reims) left a comment on the 'S/EL' part number page recently, letting me know that the CG1118 was actually a limited edition for the Brazilian football player Leonardo Nascimento de Araujo. I did not previously know this, but I must admit I did wonder why the CG1118 looked exactly like the CG1110 (with the revised dial, the original - like mine, did not have the circles around the subdials) at least from the front view. 

Actually, to be 100% correct, initially Reims told me the watch was a limited edition for Leonardo di Caprio, which I knew wasn't right because LDC didn't become an ambassador until 2009, ten years after the S/EL was discontinued... and so this confused matters, because I could only find two pieces of information about the CG1118; one of which was a useless 'PicClick' link that had expired but just said 'Leonardo' limited edition... technically correct, but confusing when I was looking for 'Leonardo di Caprio'!

CG1118.BA0473

Thankfully our friend Reims came back to me and corrected himself and also managed to locate a listing on Rakuten which cleared things up, so indeed the watch is a 'Leonardo' limited edition, just not the first 'Leonardo' that springs to mind when talking about TAG Heuer.

Well honestly, I don't follow football, so I had to 'Google' Leonardo Nascimento de Araujo and it turns out he was quite a successful chap, playing in the Brazil side which won the FIFA World Cup in 1994 and finished runners up in 1998. He also went on to play for Italian team 'AC Milan' for four years starting in 1997 and while he was there they won the 1998-99 Serie A title.


The Rakuten page displays this rather hopeless picture of the backplate, but it's enough for us to acknowledge that there is a signature there and Reims says he compared it against a known signature and it checks out. So thanks to Reims we can add this information to the S/EL part number page and also of course to the 'History of the S/EL' post (along with those Mickey Mouse S/ELs I talked about the other day).

So, if you come across some information that you think I need to know, please do leave a comment and I will follow it up. The goal is to make the site as comprehensive as possible and TAG Heuer is a huge subject, with countless nooks and crannies that need a light shining on them. Any help you can provide is much appreciated by myself and my readers.

Link to the page on Rakuten provided by Reims:

No comments:

Post a Comment