Friday 29 March 2024

FEATURE: My Top Ten Aquaracers by Albert AMG


Hello Aquaracer fans, today we have another 'Top 10 Aquaracers' post for you, but unfortunately this month's guest Albert-AMG hasn't provided any text with his selections so to prevent this post being just a bunch of pictures I will step in and provide my own thoughts on his choices. 


#10. WAY208F.BA0638 Bamford L/E Calibre 5 Automatic

Albert is not the first person to select this Bamford Limited Edition from 2021 (coincidentally the last of the WAY series Aquaracers) and I dare say he won't be the last. I must admit I'm not particularly a fan of the majority of George's customisations but the three watches he's officially worked with TAG Heuer on have all come out really well.



#9. WAY108A.FT6141 'Night Diver' Quartz Watch

Another watch that's appeared more than once, this is the earlier version of the current 'Night Diver' albeit with a quartz movement. Last time I looked these were still available brand new at the Bicester Village outlet if you're in the UK and it tickles your fancy.



#8. WAY201J.FC6370 'C.L.E.P.' L/E Calibre 5 Automatic

Back in 2019 TAG Heuer launched a pair of 'Chinese Lunar Exploration Project' watches, a very cool Heuer 01 with a solid 'moondust' dial and also this rather nifty Aquaracer. I've always quite liked these although it does give me some slightly troublesome Dato vibes - and you know how much I love the Dato, haha!




#7. CAF1010.FT8011 'Chronotimer' Quartz Chronograph

I must admit I've been quite surprised how many times the CAF1010/CAF1011 (yellow dial version) have appeared in these lists. I love mine, but I didn't think there were quite so many ana-digi enthusiasts amongst the C.O.C.O. Maybe it's just that it's something different so it stands out when looking through hundreds of similar watches? Albert has chosen this CAF1010 on the rubber strap where BP Smith chose it on a bracelet - both work for me!



#6. WAJ1110.FT6015 500M Calibre 5 Automatic

Every Aquaracer fan should have a WAJ series model in their selection if you ask me, but then I'm biased having owned one for quite some time now. This is probably the most 'common' model, featuring a black fluted dial and rubber bezel insert. These were available on a bracelet or this cool rubber strap and also with either a quartz movement or the trusty Calibre 5 motor. The watches are rated to 500M and also feature a helium escape valve at the top left of the case. Unlike the Omega Seamaster this is quite well recessed and to be honest hardly even noticeable in day to day use.



#5. WBP208C.FT6201 'Tribute to 844' L/E Calibre 5 Automatic

The C.O.C.O. loved this when it came out but I'm still on the fence. I actually managed to try one on in Harrods a few years ago and I liked it more than I thought I was going to, but the concept bugged me and TAG Heuer's spiel that the Aquaracer was a modern day 1000 Series bugged me then and still bugs me now (a bit like how some people don't like the Montreal dial in a Carrera) and let's not even talk about that fauxtina. Ugh... 



#4. WBP5A8A.BF0619 1000M 'Superdiver' Calibre TH30-00 Auto

I'm not too sure how well the Superdiver has performed for TAG Heuer, but the fact that it now comes with a free orange rubber strap (which was originally going to be the basis of a separate model) suggests it isn't exactly flying out of the stores. But then it was never going to... a 45mm Aquaracer is a big statement and one that requires a sizeable wrist. Still, nice to see that someone has put it on their list.



#3. WAY208C.FC6383 Calibre 5 Automatic

One of my favourite Aquaracers and again a watch that has appeared on multiple lists: which just goes to show that I truly do have impeccable taste. Mine lives on a black rubber strap and will most likely never go back on the slightly strange golden brown textile strap it originally came fitted with: I mean, it's not a bad look, but it looks a million times better on the rubber to my eyes. 



#2. Aquaracer 72 ORACLE TEAM USA Smartwatch

Anyone who knows Albert knows that he is a MASSIVE fan of the TAG Heuer Connected, so I guess it was inevitable that he would find a way to include a smartwatch in his top ten Aquaracers. This particular watch was created for use by the ORACLE TEAM USA sailing team and was not sold commercially, which is a shame actually as I think this is pretty damn cool. 



#1. CAK211B.FT8019 TEAM US A Calibre 70 Regatta Chrono

A slightly surprising #1 choice from Albert here, but I must admit these Regatta chronos are pretty cool. I seem to remember these being on sale for years in the Bicester Village outlet, but even at a discount they were pretty pricey and I never really thought about picking one up. I must admit they do like nice though and like the WAJ series these are rated to 500M and have the unobtrusively positioned helium escape valve, albeit in a more compact case size. 


Okay, well I hope you enjoyed Albert AMG's choices (and my interjections) and don't forget you can catch up on all the Aquaracer@20 posts by clicking on the banner below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment