Tuesday 26 March 2024

ON THE FACE: TAG Heuer 'Flex' and 'Pro-Shield' Sunglasses


TAG Heuer Boutique / Stratford, London 21st March 2024

It must be said that the reaction to TAG Heuer revisiting their sunglasses range has not been entirely positive in the watch community... it seems that TAG making shades again somehow means that they will not be taken seriously as a watch company - don't ask me how that works because I don't understand it. No Rolex don't make shades, but they don't need to. I don't see the connection. Are Mont Blanc not taken seriously as a pen maker because they make watches... and fragrances? 

To be honest  I'm more surprised that companies like TAG Heuer haven't started making fragrances yet, since they have plenty of contacts in the LVMH group they could tap and fragrances are even more profitable than watches. Besides, I already own a pair of TAG Heuer shades and I like them a lot, so I was keen to see what the company would come out with.


So when they appeared on the website I was a bit meh about them, honestly. The ones I already have are quite different to what they've come up with this time and to be honest I thought for the most part they seemed quite dull, and definitely not in any way avant garde. The only one I was really interested to see was the 'Shield Pro' and so I was pleased to see them in the cabinet when I visited the TAG Heuer boutique in the Westfield Stratford shopping centre (apparently the biggest mall in Europe - I find that hard to believe to be honest, but that's what they reckon).

I actually ended up trying on two sets of shades, first the 'Flex' which I found too wide for my head... a new experience for me it must be said, because I have a massive bonce! Who the hell these are designed to fit I don't know, but they certainly weren't for me. I feel like they aren't curved enough either, they just seem like a very flat, oblong lens and then there's nothing else to them other than the wire arms. I didn't find them particularly comfortable either and the nose piece actually felt a little sharp too.


The Shield Pro on the other hand were great. Super comfortable right from the start and definitely the only ones in the current range that look particularly exciting and modern in their design. Apparently these come with two lenses, the smokey brown* one and also a clear one (principally for riding on bicycles I presume) and also a spare nose piece. I must admit I didn't really want to take them off and wouldn't be at all surprised if I end up getting a pair.

The only thing is... I can't help but feel they do make me look a bit of a tit. Being old and grey and all that. I'm not saying that would stop me buying them, but they are a bit 'extra' for an old guy like me. Still I've never really been one to dress my age, so I don't know why that would change now... and had I not been on my way to the ABBA arena then Mohammad might just have convinced me to part with the necessary £390. Well, maybe not... but it was nice to meet him and see the boutique, which is in a part of London I've never been to before and probably won't visit again any time soon. 

*I've just noticed on the TAG Heuer website that these are also available with a blue mirrored lens, which is probably what I would go for to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment