Saturday 2 March 2024

FEATURE: My Top Ten Aquaracers by Shane Paradis

 

As you know, this year we are celebrating 20 years of the magnificent Aquaracer and today I'm pleased to welcome the newest addition to our 'Council of Considered Opinion' - Shane Paradis. Shane is an American with a refreshingly positive attitude to quartz and older TAG Heuer models in general, which leads to some interesting and dare I say it 'unexpected' choices in his personal list of  'Top 10 Aquaracers'. He's also the first person not to include any of my Aquaracers in his Top 10, but I won't hold that against him. Honestly!


#10. WBP201C.BA0632 Calibre 5 Automatic

There’s something about silver dial TAGs, but this one is extra special. The hands, black ceramic bezel insert, textured silver dial, and hexagonal indices really speak to me, and give me a classic TAG Heuer Aquaracer vibes. It even has little touches of its “Professional” predecessor, which is pretty sweet. Plus I know a pretty cool dude who owns one.



#9. CAF1011.BA0821 'Chronotimer' Quartz Chronograph

These are just too cool. Talk about a tool watch! The analog/digital combination with the yellow dial, and classic steel bezel with rider tabs is incredibly striking. It makes me want to buy one and take it on an extreme hike… Except I don’t do extreme hikes.



#8. WBP208C.FT6201 'Tribute to 844' Calibre 5 Automatic

I think this is a very important watch. A total throwback to the early Heuer divers that helped keep the brand afloat during the quartz revolution (I said it). I say this is very important, because it may bring some much needed attention and love to the seemingly forgotten 80s and 90s models.



#7.WAY111Z.BA0928 Quartz Alarm

An alarm, small seconds, and a big date… I love this watch for its unapologetic quirkiness. I’m not really sure what they were thinking when they released this. This watch makes no sense, and it’s slightly impractical. Why a big date on a diver? I don’t know, but that’s why I like it.



#6. WBP2150.FT6210 Calibre 5 Automatic

Finally! A two tone Aquaracer that isn’t plated. While this is just a thin insert, it was the first step in bringing the Aquaracer up a notch in my book. I have a hard time accepting case or bezel plating on any sort of “lifelong” watch. Ok, that sounds really elitist coming from a quartz enthusiast lol.



#5. WAB1112.BA0801 Quartz Watch

I might get some pushback for this one. This seemed like a pretty brief chapter of the Aquaracer story, and an almost complete departure from the 2000 series DNA that makes the Aquaracer so good! I think this one is just nostalgia for me. I think this was just burned into my memory from their relentless advertising. I guess it worked because it’s on my list of top ten. Look at that yellow, arrow tipped second hand though… nice…



#4. WBD2111.BA0928: Calibre 5 Automatic

This might be the sexiest Aquaracer I have ever seen. A pure white “garage door” dial, chunky indices, fence post hands, an orange second hand, steel bezel with rider tabs… all with that classic case shape and a chunky crown. I really need to own one of these…



#3. CAF1111.BA0803 Quartz Chronograph

I’m usually not a huge fan of diver chronographs, but this is one of those watches that I can’t help but love. This reference captures everything that I love about the 2000 Series chronograph models from the 1990s, and give me automotive vibes that I don’t get from other Aquaracers. I don’t know why it reminds me of the mid 1990s Ford Taurus SHO models… or why I even like those… but this watch makes me smile more than most others. Plus that 27 jewel ETA quartz chrono movement is a seriously nice movement.


  

#2. WBP1113.BA0000 - 'Solargraph' Quartz Watch

While I’d still really like to see what really powers this watch, I still feel it calling to me. I love the idea of a solar quartz movement, I love the refreshing 40mm case, and I love to see the steel bezel coming back with more of a 3000 series look. I could see myself buying one of these Solargraph models and keeping it forever! I chose this dial variant because it reminds me of the striking blue dial of some of the 2000 Exclusive models.



#1. CAF7110.BA0803 Calibre S 'Regatta Timer' Chronograph

I’ve been exited about this one. I can nerd out over my one of my favourite movements ever made! The Calibre S is an in house QUARTZ movement from TAG, and one that has been absolutely beautifully designed. I could go on all day about the Calibre S, but that wouldn’t leave me any room to express my admiration for the super cool sub-dials, aluminium countdown bezel, and my favourite complication ever… a regatta timer. I haven’t been able to find one in decent shape for a price I’m willing to pay yet, but when I do… I’ll take two!


Great stuff! Thanks Shane, some really interesting and novel choices there and I feel pretty secure saying I very much doubt anyone else will include a Calibre S Regatta in their top ten, never mind in first place. But hey, you never know... look out for more 'Top Ten Aquaracers' throughout the year and in the meantime you can click on the banner below to access all the 'Aquaracer@20' posts so far.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the opportunity to share my unpopular opinions! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun read, and the author had some good points regarding the different Aquaracers—stuff I never really paid attention to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting choices!

    ReplyDelete