Thursday 27 October 2016

ON THE WRIST: Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph Speed Limited Edition

CV2A1J.FC6301

TAG Boutique, Cheshire Oaks 17th October 2016

This was one of three Carrera's I tried on on my recent visit to Cheshire Oaks, the other two being Mocaco Grand Prix models from 2012 and 2013. This one has quite an unusual look, and probably one that will prove a bit Marmite I suspect. It certainly didn't hold much water once I actually got it in my hands and on my wrist. 

I think my main problem with it is the way the dials break up the orange stripe, to the point that it no longer really looks like a stripe anyway, more a random orange splodge on the dial. Perhaps if they hadn't taken the orange around the 'seconds' sub dial it would have helped, but they didn't... so it hasn't. I'm not mad keen on the flag logo on the sub dial either, but I suppose this is a Goodwood Limited Edition so they wanted to put something on there especially as there's no room to decorate the back.

I guess it didn't help that I was being distracted somewhat by the 2012 Monaco GP Carrera sitting on the tray in front of me, but this one really didn't make a massive impression on me. It's a classic case of looking nice in the cabinet but once it's on the wrist it's a little underwhelming. 

Perhaps it has proved a little underwhelming with most people as it seems a little strange that a watch that is limited to 250 pieces should end up in Cheshire Oaks selling for about £1000 less than it's retail. I suppose when you look at it like that it's a bit of a bargain, especially for a Carrera with a display caseback. But for me it just didn't really have that certain something which made me want to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment