Thursday 6 October 2016

ON THE WRIST: Aquaracer 300M Calibre 5 Black (WAY218A.FC6362)


WAY318A.C6362

Ernest Jones / Birmingham Bullring 4th October 2016

I tried this model on at the same time as the Monza 40th and I must say I was slightly surprised by how small it seemed on the wrist. Sure it is 1mm smaller than the Monza, but unlike that piece I actually held the Aquaracer against the F1 that I was wearing to compare the sizes. I wouldn't say the size was a dealbreaker (I'm sure I would get used to it after all) but I would certainly consider the 43mm chronograph version as an option, albeit that is obviously rather more expensive.
Having tried on a modern ceramic bezel Aquaracer in the not to distant past, the first thing that struck me was the new nylon strap. I think it's fair to say I am not a particular fan of it, which is a shame because these things seem to be sneaking up here there and everywhere (even on a Monaco I saw in the same store). To me it just doesn't fit with a luxury watch somehow and I much preferred the rubber strap with the yellow back fitted  the WAY211A.FT6069. Still I suppose there would be nothing to stop me ordering a 'FT6069' strap and swapping them over, and that's probably what I would do because I have to say I definitely prefer the black case on this model.
As before the yellow on the second hand adds a nice touch of colour and even though it's quite small and therefore relatively subtle, it definitely adds something as you surely notice the difference on the models without it. The yellow stitching on the strap is a nice touch, but it still doesn't make up for the rather odd texture and I think the yellow on the back of the rubber strap pops a lot more.
My other issue is the cyclops, I just don't really like them that much... but maybe I could get used to it? 
This review sounds rather negative, which is unfair, because I do like the watch, but could I justify the extra £400 for the black case AND the extra (£???) to get the rubber strap as well. I don't think so. It seems a bit of a no brainer to me that they should release this watch with that strap and if they do I would certainly be seriously considering it, until then I think I'd probably go with the WAY211A instead. 

Size 41mm 
Price £2250
Power Reserve 38hrs

LINKS:


No comments:

Post a Comment