Wednesday 12 October 2016

SPOTLIGHT ON: Carrera Chronograph Calibre 36 Flyback

CAR2B80.FC6325

When I first caught sight of this on the internet I thought 'Wow! Now there's a watch I'd like to get my hands on', because as you can see in the picture above it looks super cool. I really like the minute markings (as seen on some other versions of the Carrera) and the red touches are subtle but oh so right, not to mention the crown which looks knurled but I think it's actually a rubber insert similar to the one on the Heuer 01. 

But then I saw the price, a whopping £7500! Now, I appreciate that this does have the super-dooper Calibre 36 movement inside (which is the Zenith El Primero if I'm not mistaken) not to mention the flyback feature (which means that if you are using the chronograph when you reset it it automatically starts again), but even so, that's a hell of a lot of money. 

As luck would have it, I saw one of these in the TAG boutique in Bicester Village and to be honest, it looks a little flat. They were selling it for £4000 I think, maybe even less, but I didn't even bother to try it on because it really doesn't have the wow factor that the pictures promise. I don't really know why that is, but I was tremendously underwhelmed by it.

Which, in a way was a relief, since I already have one super expensive TAG to lust after and I don't really need another one...

No comments:

Post a Comment