Thursday 6 October 2016

ON THE WRIST: Monza Calibre 17 40th Anniversary (CR2080.FC6375)


CR2080.FC6375

Ernest Jones / Birmingham Bullring 4th October 2016

This was the second time I had seen the Monza 40th Anniversary, but my first chance to actually try it on. Initial impressions were good, the watch stands out from the pieces around it by virtue of it's unusual case design and the black PVD coating lends it a modern twist, which is most welcome. The touches of red on the face and the second hand pop nicely and the whole design just works really well. 


The watch sits nicely on the wrist and isn't as tall as I perhaps expected. The curved edges make it flow better with the arm than a Monaco (which as much as I like them, do seem to jar due to the square shape) and TAG seem to have done a great job modernizing an old design for 2016.
It's slightly disappointing that the watch doesn't have a glass caseback, I think for the price you would pretty much expect that feature, but the back is still very nice with a red Heuer logo in the middle, 'Monza' above in white and the limited edition number below. Strange that it doesn't say how many (as in XXXX of XXXX) and I don't seem to be able to find that information either. I have a feeling it was a limited run of 4000 but common sense tells me that could be a mix up with the price.


Overall, while I like the watch I do have one major reservation, the strap. It's horrible. I know it's a Heuer not a TAG Heuer, and as such it's a retro piece, but they've done such a great job of updating the design it seems a colossal shame to put it on such a dated strap. If I was to purchase this watch the first thing I would do would be to switch out the strap for something more modern. I hesitate to say a rubber strap, because I'm not sure that would be the ideal choice, but certainly something with a more modern edge.


While the strap doesn't agree with me, I have to say the clasp is nice, with a push button release mechanism. I kind of expected this watch to have an old-fashioned buckle, but again the clasp lends it a modern feel and is nicely branded with the Heuer logo and like the case is black PVD coated titanium.


Size 42mm
Price £4000
Power reserve 38hrs

LINKS:


No comments:

Post a Comment