Monday 7 May 2018

BUYING EXPERIENCE: Grand Carrera Calibre 8 GMT

WAV5111.BA0901

I guess it all started about a fortnight ago, when I visited the TAG Heuer outlet at Bicester. As you may remember I tried on three Grand Carreras that day including a GC GMT with a diamond bezel. I'd never really been that taken with the single sub-dial Grand Carreras, and I was pretty focused on getting hold of a CAV511A Chronograph GC.

But after I tried that blingy piece on it got me thinking, the chrono versions of this watch sell for way more and did I really need another chronograph? Wouldn't it make sense to get a cheaper watch with a GMT instead (a complication I don't already have) and rather than getting yet another tachymetre bezel watch perhaps a more dressy piece would be a better addition to the collection.


So having already had a trade in offer from Watchfinder for my CAU2012 against a CAV511A, I found this WAV5111 on their website for a decent price (£1950) and checked with them that my offer of £1200 trade in stood. This meant I could turn my orange Formula 1 into a chronometer certified Grand Carrera GMT for £750. I didn't think about it for too long, except to ponder whether I should maybe go for the white dial version, just to tick another box. But I quickly decided that if this is to be my dressiest, poshest watch then it really ought to be black, and so I quickly did the deal.

Rather than post my CAU2012 I decided to take it down to London last Saturday and drop it in to Avery Row myself, which meant I could also try my new watch on and size the bracelet - but I couldn't pick it up until they'd had time to check mine over and authenticate it, which while a little frustrating I can understand.


While I was in Watchfinder I got them to swap the rubber straps back over on the old watch as I tried to do it myself but was too worried about scratching the otherwise immaculate PVD coating. Incidentally, Watchfinder have listed my watch now and if you do want a CAU2012 (despite everything I've written about it) you won't find one in better condition, because it really is mint.

I was served by George, who was nice enough, but they really ought to give him a better watch to wear while he's in the office. Surely there must be an old Kirium knocking around they could give him rather than having him wear a Daniel Wellington while he's serving people looking to buy Rolexes and Royal Oaks. It just gives a bad impression in my opinion.


As I said before, the Avery Row branch seems to be more of a collection point than anything as its stock is severely limited in comparison to the Canary Wharf and in particular the Royal Exchange branches. But it serves a purpose and they probably do have maybe 100 watches in there I guess (including one of those ridiculous Omega PloProf things).

Even though it was disappointing that I couldn't take the watch with me I felt much happier having inspected it and tried it on. It was also handy that they could size the watch for me and add in a link so that it would fit me properly, and I knew it was only going to be 7-10 days before I would receive the watch so it wasn't so bad.


I arranged for the watch to be sent to my work, which was simple but for the fact that my work email is a Gmail address and they didn't like that very much. I guess they have to be careful, and I was prepared to have it delivered to home if necessary, but in the end I resolved it by sending them a photograph of my work catalogue which has the email address printed on it. Eventually Tom said it was fine (perhaps because this was my second purchase from him this year) and much quicker than expected (last Wednesday I think it was) I received an email from Tom telling me that my sale had gone through and that I would be contacted by the shipping department soon. 

I got the call on Thursday and finally on Friday afternoon my parcel arrived...

A huge outer box...

Incorporates the document folder...

Instructions in one, Chronometer certification in the other...

Beautiful inner wooden box, unfortunately scratched at the front :(

And there it is, finally a Grand Carrera owner!

Nice!

100M water resistant with display case back...

Classy and practical, just like me..  :)


Between ordering and arrival I did get a bit nervous, because I started worrying that I'd sold myself short and should have spent the extra and got the chronograph after all. But once I had it on my wrist those worries soon dispersed, I'd still like the CAV511A, but in addition to, not instead of. I know I'm obviously in the honeymoon period, but I'd say this is probably my second favourite of my watches right now.

The only slight niggle, well two I guess, was that the box is scratched up at the front, but it's not a massive deal (and to be fair that was clearly visible on the website if I'd looked more carefully). The other was that they seem to have added another spare link into the watch bracelet so that when it arrived it was too big and I had to take it to a jewellers to get it taken out again - I really don't know why they did that. But still, better that I've got a spare link than not I suppose, and aside from that, so far I'm rather chuffed with this one!


2 comments: