Sunday 6 May 2018

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Quartz Alarm

WAY111Y.BA0928

Steffans, Northampton / 4th May 2018

I had to pop into Steffans because my new watch arrived today and for some reason it turned up with an extra link fitted into the bracelet, so it was too big. Slightly annoying, but not the end of the world and anyway, I'll cover that in my new watch 'Buying Experience' post very soon.

While I was in Steffans I tried on a couple of watches, the first of which was this white dial Aquaracer. I say white dial, because in the cabinet it certainly looked white, but when you look a little closer you realise it's not really white. At least not in the way the 'Explorer II' Aquaracer is, it's much more of a white/grey... or even white/silver, and it has a slightly off white/cream tinge to it as well. It's not unattractive, it's just a little bit hard to say exactly what colour it really is.


The watch is 40.5mm in diameter but it wears bigger I'd say. When I had it on I was unsure if it was 43mm or 41mm, and I must admit I was quite surprised when Wes told me it was actually 40.5mm. Perhaps it's a peculiarity of white dial watches that they look slightly bigger? I've not had a white dial watch for a very long time so I'm not sure. Either way it sat nicely on the wrist and it certainly wasn't 'small' at all, indeed I would have been perfectly happy to wear it on my 7.3/4" wrist. Even when I put it alongside a 43mm with a black dial it still looked absolutely fine.

This particular model has an alarm feature which is set using the sub-dial on the left hand side of the watch-face. I'm not crazy about small seconds, but in this instance it's clear they've done it to give the face a more balanced look and perhaps to create that 'chronograph' look at a cheaper price. I think the big date is a nice feature too (hint, hint), one that I've definitely changed my opinion on in recent weeks.

The sale price for this particular model is £1350, which seems great value considering you're getting an alarm and a bracelet for about the same money as some other models in the current range which are basic three handers (eg; the new Khaki Aquaracer), and because you have a big date you also have the added bonus of no cyclops.

Ultimately though, I think if I was serious about getting hold of one of these I would be waiting for one turn up pre-owned since I have my doubts that the resale will hold up particularly well. The dial is neither one thing or the other and as such I think it might be a bit of a soft seller. That said, it's certainly an attractive watch that will fit a lot of wrists and won't offend anyone, but whether it will really excite anyone is perhaps another matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment