Saturday 26 May 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph Limited Edition

CV201G.FT6007

You may remember the other day I posted about a limited edition 44mm Formula One that was identical to the standard model except for having it's back plate stamped with the 'Rabat' logo. Rabat is a Spanish jewellers with just six stores (one of which seems to be a Rolex boutique) so it seems slightly surprising that they would be able to commit to the sort of numbers of pieces that that they have.

As far as I can tell there is no other model in the range which has the same red/orange sub-dial surrounds and second hand, so I'd say this may actually be quite a desirable model for that aspect alone. Unfortunately I can't find a photograph of the back of the watch anywhere so what exactly has been done is unknown, but this watch is a limited edition of 350 pieces and as far as I know and if we assume the watch has a clear caseback there won't be an awful lot of room to do much more than stamp Rabat and the XXX/350.

For a very long time I was looking for a Carrera with a strap like this, but when I eventually found one it didn't really do it for me, perhaps because the watch itself was rather plain (possibly a CV2010). I much prefer these with the coloured elements as they give it a bit of modern twist and really complement the strap choice well.

Actually, Googling CV201G brings up almost nothing, and you could be forgiven for thinking I was making this up, but my source for this was a post by David@Calibre11 on the Calibre 11 Forum and I'm sure he knows his onions better than almost anyone. As usual with TAG Heuer the availability of information regarding limited editions is notable only by it's absence so we have to take it where we can find it - and for source you can't get better than Calibre 11.

As an aside, in the course of my research I came across a Japanese Limited Edition with an unusual 'mother of pearl' dial called a CV201K.BA0794 which I've never seen before (there's one for sale on eBay for about £3000). Funny what you find when you search Google and keep changing the last letter of the catalogue number!

CV201K.BA0794

As for getting hold of CV201G, well good luck with that! A quick look at Rabat's website suggests they are long gone, and with a watch this good looking I guess that's not really all that surprising, even though it did seem a big amount to shift through six stores (still in these days of online sales perhaps it's not so difficult to find them homes?). 

As for pre-owned, well Ebay seems a dead loss, and even Chrono24 doesn't seem able to help so you'll have to look further afield I'm afraid, but as I said, Google doesn't seem to be bringing anything up so I can only assume the original buyers are reluctant to sell....

No comments:

Post a Comment