Friday 15 December 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Dubai Skyline' Heuer 02T Limited Edition

 
CAR5A8AJ.FC6415

Last year's Dubai Boutique edition Carrera tourbillon was not a particular hit with the Council of Considered Opinion, scoring a rather lowly 4.9/10 in the end of year polling. This was most likely at least in part due to the slightly garish red a green colour scheme. This year however, TAG Heuer have toned it down a little (no really, go check out last year's HERE) and produced this limited edition of just twelve pieces.



As you've probably guessed this one comes in the usual 45mm diameter with a PVD coated titanium case and carries the Heuer 02T tourbillon chronograph. The watch also has a forged carbon bezel and lugs and a cool 'Dubai Skyline' backplate that I thought was solid but according to the spec sheet is actually made of printed blue sapphire. Pricing is a little vague but falls somewhere in the region of £18,500. 


As soon as I clocked this one it immediately brought to mind the CBG2017 of 2018, a watch I liked very much on release, but on reflection the blue highlighting is executed with much more restraint on the Carbon Carrera Blue and comes off all the better for it. To be fair this probably looks better in person, but of course the chances of actually seeing one of these in person here in the UK are pretty minimal so we have to go with what we have.


I'm not too sure what to make of this one, I do like the subtle incorporation of U.A.E. on the bezel but there was a definitely a bit of a lacklustre response from the Council on this one, I think perhaps watch fatigue has finally taken hold - perhaps not surprising given the sheer number of new releases this year. I definitely feel like I'm running out of steam and need a short break from all this, roll on Christmas!





7.5/10: "I love this 45mm modular case design, also when it comes with Heuer 01 and Heuer 02 movements. This black titanium case with carbon lugs and bezel also looks good and it’s a properly numbered LE (01/12). It’s just that this Tourbillon version with these blue accents (and the alligator strap) is not my favourite H02 T… so it’s “just” a 7.5/10 for me."

2/10: "I just don’t get these."

5/10: "Looks like it may show better than others but still 5/10."

6.5/10: "Ho hum, these do nothing for me, but at least this one looks pretty good."

5/10: "I like the colours more than last year's green & red Dubai. But that's about it."

8/10: "I usually score the out of reach Tourbillon pieces lower as, well, they’re totally out of reach. This one does stand out to me for some reason though. I've always been drawn to black watches and to carbon too. The PVD coating, along with what appears to be a carbon bezel, hits that nicely. I also like a splash of colour and the blue tone here is vivid enough to stand out but also remain subtle too. The blocky styling is cool also. Finally, the alligator and rubber strap gives more interest via its texture but subtle still with the black. 12 is my favourite number tor some reason, as keeps cropping up in house numbers and random other stuff, so I would have to get that one…if wasn’t so out of reach."

3/10: "Perfect for Dubai. Not so for me."

3/10: "Too much ‘G-shock’ for me."

2 comments:

  1. My favourite detail is that is says United Arab Emirates on the bezel, if I could afford I would buy but I work only extra in my brother cousin's dad's vegetable shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wonder who this could be?

      Delete