Sunday 2 September 2018

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Aquaracer Calibre 5 Carbon Fibre Boutique Special Editions


Launching in a couple of weeks time, these are the new Carbon Fibre Aquaracer Calibre 5's, which are 'Special' rather than 'Limited' editions, so no numbered casebacks then! So far there appears to be three versions, which is not unusual for TAG Heuer: a blue version, a yellow version and the last one is hard to tell, it looks a bit like copper or bronze, but it could be rose gold I suppose?


When I first heard about these I thought they sounded neat, but worried the price would be horrendous. Well, I don't actually know the price as yet, but there may be hope that the price is reasonable because the cases of these watches are actually titanium rather than carbon fibre. That means it's just the bezel insert and dial which are actually carbon fibre, which should mean these are a lot cheaper than I thought they were going to be. So more like £3-4000 I would think, rather than £4-5000.


Really liking this yellow one, but the blue is also nice. I'm guessing TAG are using the nylon straps from the current Aquaracers (which are conveniently yellow and blue). Presumably the watches are 41mm, on the face of it they appear more likely to be 41 than 43mm. I'm going to have to reserve judgement on the other watch as the pictures aren't the best and it's unclear exactly what we're looking at. I'm guessing gold for the hands and markers, but the logo and text seem to be bronze coloured?


It's nice to see some new Special Editions in the Aquaracer range, I think the blue, red and sand coloured ones of a couple of years ago were very daring, and last years camouflage and khaki ones were also interesting pieces... I'd definitely consider a carbon fibre piece for my collection, although I think it would have to get in the queue behind the WAY208C and the WAY208D.

EDIT: Prices are £3250 for the yellow and blue versions and £3300 for the rose gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment