Tuesday 4 September 2018

UPDATE: Aquaracer Carbon Boutique Editions

WBD218A.FC6445

Since Sunday, TAG have revealed pictures and more information about the three new 'Carbon Collection' Aquaracers. First off, the WBD218A pictured above is in fact rose gold, and now that I've seen better shots I think it's my favourite of the three for sure. The watches are 41mm in diameter, which is a good all rounder size and common for three handed Aquaracers (chronographs are usually 43mm). The rose gold version is £3300, while the other models are selling for £3250. 

WBD218B.FC6446

I think it was clear, even from Sunday's screen grabs, that the yellow was going to be a stunner. You can't really go wrong with black and yellow, it's a winning combination, and though this shot doesn't show it, the yellow stitched strap sets this dial off perfectly. 

One thing I've noticed while posting these pictures is that the carbon 'pattern' on the dial is identical on all three, and in a photograph I've seen on Calibre 11 today (taken in a boutique in Japan) the same pattern as well - which rather suggests these dials aren't carbon, as carbon is supposed to create a unique pattern every time. Also the dials don't really look the same as the bezel (which definitely is carbon), although if they were carbon 'weave' rather than injected carbon that could possibly account for that. But even so, I'm highly suspicious, despite what the official website claims*

WBD218C.FC6447

I like the blue, but much like the blue Carrera Heuer01, it's something I like but wouldn't choose to own. The yellow gives more contrast and looks more fun and the rose gold looks more special somehow, but if you want colour but in a more subtle way, then maybe this is the one for you?

The more I look at the rose gold one the more I like it, it really reminds me of the WAY208C though, which I think I would probably prefer on grounds of cost... but I do like those gold touches with that carbon bezel, very nice indeed!


*David from Calibre 11 has confirmed that the dials are 'carbon effect' rather than actual carbon, which is rather disappointing considering the price hike over a regular Aquaracer!

No comments:

Post a Comment