Thursday 6 September 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Alter Ego Two-Tone Quartz Ladies Watch

WP1351

I've been somewhat fascinated with the Alter Ego range for a long time and then a couple of months ago I finally got to see one in H&T Pawnbrokers in the town. It was one of the larger, brushed case models which while much more practical simply don't look as good to my eyes. And then of course came the whole adventure to Cash Converters (Wakefield) with my wife to buy her own Alter Ego.

You can read about that HERE.


I really like my wife's Alter Ego, but if I had been buying one I think I would have chosen the metallic blue or possibly black dial, but I understand why she chose the pink dial since she wanted something 'different' (not to mention the pink dial version is definitely one of the less common ones). My wife has never been a fan of two-tone, but when I sent her these pictures yesterday even she grudgingly admitted that it was nice!

I'm intrigued as to how this is put together, as I can't quite work out if it's gold plating or if the gold parts of the case and links are separate pieces? The backs of the links suggest they are one piece, but from some angle it appears that there are 'join lines' as you'd expect with a two-tone bracelet made of individual sub-links. And the case, surely the case isn't made in three pieces?


However they've done it, I think this 29mm watch looks absolute stunning! In fact I would go as far as to say this is probably the best looking Alter Ego I've seen yet, and this particular example (which is being sold by Swiss Wrist Watches on eBay) looks in incredible condition for a watch that must be at least fifteen years old.

I don't know why I have this affinity for the Alter Ego, I guess it's just because it epitomises the 'Techniques d'Avant Garde' spirit like no other watch. I just wish they'd made a men's version or something similarly futuristic and 'out there', sadly I doubt we'll see anything as brave as this again, even from a company as forward looking as TAG Heuer.


One thing my wife has commented on since she got her Alter Ego is that she doesn't think they are as comfortable to wear as her Aquaracer / Formula 1 / 2000 Series. I think perhaps this is because she has such a tiny wrist, because looking at the bracelet it doesn't have the same flexibility as a normal strap, although oddly, I would say the Kirium bracelet is the most comfortable bracelet I've ever had and that is by far the least flexible of all my straps. But since I can't wear one of these, the comfort isn't really my concern... but I can still appreciate the aesthetics, and this one looks outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment