Wednesday 12 September 2018

NOT BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Kirium Quartz White Dial

WL1110.BA0700

It's become something of a running joke that I have all these TAGs, but none of them have the classic red and green logo on the dial. So when this white faced quartz Kirium appeared on my radar (via eBay) it looked like a sure thing. I bid in the dying moments of the listing and secured this lovely little watch for £246, which isn't outrageously cheap, but it's definitely on the lower end of normal for this particular model.


The seller was away on business for a couple of days so I had to wait a little longer than normal to get my hands on it, but patience is a virtue and I was rewarded this morning when my post arrived. The outer box was a little knocked about but basically okay, however the inner barrel had decayed quite badly and everywhere I put the box down little black bits were left in it's wake. Slightly annoying admittedly, but the seller did state that the case wasn't in the best condition.


The watch came with three spare links (YES!) and I as I could barely get the watch over my hand I had two put in, only to realise that it was way too big and promptly had one taken out again. What a faff! But then it fitted nicely and considering the age of the watch the clasp was pretty decent too, certainly better than my blue dial 'chrono' Kirium anyway.

I was wearing my grey dial 500M Aquaracer today so of course my 'size' alert went off like a claxon, but I measured the case and it's exactly the same size as the aforementioned chrono and my F1 Kirium, so that put my mind at rest. It does look smaller somehow though, I don't know why. Maybe it's the small mirror finished Arabic numbers on the dial?


When the watch arrived it was about ten minutes fast, so I put it right and thought no more about it and then took this picture. Quite a difference from 43mm to 37mm isn't there? But still, I'm over that now, I know I can wear a 37mm Kirium, it's fine. Honest!

I gave the watch a damn good clean and noticed a couple of things, first the reference number is missing from the backplate, but I reckon it's just worn away. I've seen loads of photos of Kiriums with no markings (just the embossed TAG logo, which looked exactly as I'd expect) so that didn't raise any concerns with me. Secondly, it appears that the date wheel doesn't quite reach over as far as it should. The date numbers look a little tight to the left margin and there appears to be a gap at the right hand side.


If I wasn't so familiar with the Kirium range, this might have been cause for concern, but I'm pretty sure this is either a sub standard repair or maybe just a QC issue when the watch was made, I honestly don't believe this watch is a fake. If it is then it's an extremely good one.

So I popped it back in it's box and got on with my day and didn't get it out until about 9:30pm, by which time the watch had gained ten minutes again. Oh dear!

Damn you quartz movement!!!

To be fair, the seller has been brilliant. Not twenty minutes after I messaged him I'd received a pre-paid returns label and you can't say fairer than that. I am rather disappointed, but at the same time am I now looking for another WL1110 to fill the void? I don't think I am. Maybe if one comes along at the right price I might be tempted, but as it stands I won't be chasing one down.

I don't want to be negative about the watch at all, it was in great condition apart from the 'time-keeping' issue... and the applied markers and Arabics looked good, the lume was adequate.. the bracelet was in good condition and just as comfortable as my other Kiriums. But I kind of feel like I maybe bought it because it was cheap, rather than because I really liked it and I'm not quite sure that's enough any more, not with so many watches competing for wrist time.


I will be sorry to see it go though, since it was my first white dial TAG Heuer and of course because it means that once again my collection is devoid of a single piece bearing the classic logo. On the other hand, in a few days my TAG fund will be swelled to the tune of £246 once again, and so the thrill of chase resumes once more...

No comments:

Post a Comment